The Velorbis Scrap Deluxe

March 18, 2009 § 8 Comments

On our last BFOC group ride, we had all ranges of bicycles in the mix. From retro cruisers, to recumbants, and from high end road bikes, to entry level mountain bikes. The one that caught my eye the most was an American made version of a European styled city bike. Sure they’re heavy, slow, and a bit clunky to handle, but they’re made for one thing: comfort.

My wife and I own several bikes and use them for various different means, but the one I have yet to add to my collection is a good solid city bike. These are the standard bicycles seen in cities with extremely large populations of cyclists. The above is the latest object of my affection…the Velorbis Scrap Deluxe. All steel frame, enclosed hub gears, and those beautiful big fat blond balloon tires had me drooling from the first time I laid eyes on it. Sadly, they only appear to be available on the Coasts, but if a local bike shop ever shows interest in importing one, I want it to be known that BFOC would be happy to have the first test drive and would be more than willing to write a glowing review. hint, hint.

About these ads

§ 8 Responses to The Velorbis Scrap Deluxe

• ashbloem says:

My bike is very similar to this! My Swedish army bike-copy Kronan has lived and commuted with me in Amsterdam, Luzern, Boston, and now (sometimes) Dallas. She’s as comfortable as all get out, and pretty to boot. I hardly ride my hybrid anymore I like her so much.

• Major Taylor says:

Pashley bikes for the win! Much lighter and faster.

Prettier too.

• space2k says:

The Velorbis and Pashleys are neat but seem a little precious and go for a grand plus. I’d love to see that Kronan in the flesh, though, the SS is $500. Stick a Brooks on it and your golden.

• mannytmoto says:

Wow! Great find @Major Taylor. The Pashley Guv’nor is gorgeous:

• Waco says:

I must confess that I have been lusting after a Retrovelo for some time now… http://www.retrovelo.de/

I’d love to pick up a Fritz and do an xtracycle conversion on my current ride.

• Major says:

Hi guys,

I am a bike dealer for 15 years, and I would honestly tell anyone to stay away from the Kronan bicycles. The quality is very, very poor compared to other bikes on the market and I have seen many broken forks on these bikes which is just not safe!
    Just my experience…

/Mayor

• [...] 19, 2009 in MiscellaneousTags: Balloon Tires, Commuter Bike After posting an article on the stylish Velorbis Scrap Deluxe commuter bike with its beautiful silver finish and big white [...]

• Chris says:

Kettler, most known for ping pong tables in the US, makes one of the best city bikes I have ever had. I have bought and ridden every kind of commuter bike from Batavus to Bridgestone and I always come back to my Kettler. It looks good, its very light, comfortable, easy to lock up, stops on a dime, shifts decisively (Sram) carries loads well and is quite fast. The price was pretty good too. They are almost impossible to find outside Europe but you can order them from their website. I ride 10+ miles every work day through San Francisco and my Kettler has seen and conquered it all. Ask any German.