Week 13 and 14: 1 Day 52 Week No Car Challenge

A proud sponsor of the One Day 52 Week No Car Challenge

A proud sponsor of the One Day 52 Week No Car Challenge

Week 13 & 14: Attention:  Posting every 2 weeks

As many of you may have noticed, my postings have thinned out a bit over the past several weeks.  While my time has been taken in other areas at the moment, I’m getting married this weekend ;), I’m very committed to this challenge and this lifestyle.  After things settle down, I’ll have more focus on adding better content to these posts and managing the challenge.  My apologies for letting it slip a bit.

Moving forward, it’s appropriate to reconsider a weekly posting.  So, starting from the previous post you’ll see one every two weeks.  Now this doesn’t mean you’re off the hook for a weekly comment and getting in your one day of car free.  Simply reply to the same posting twice.  If you didn’t post for last week (week 13) go ahead and post here.

Cheers!

Jonathan

10 comments

1. Errr,
    i have been incorrectly posting to the original email 😦
    hope this gets me back on track. CarFree all week!

Fish
    February 19, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Friday was bike day! – Beautiful outside!! – Hit my favorite little German place after work for a large Spaten Optimator.

Fish
    February 27, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Bikin it today! Backpack w laptop and a pint at a wifi spot gets my homework done!

Fish
    March 5, 2011 at 9:35 am

Tuesday – –
    always offering to give my TRE coworker a ride to the platform – I forgot I had the bike, crazy!

Fish
    March 14, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Did a car free Sunday – walked it everywhere!

Fish
    March 22, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Did the bike commute on Sun, Mon, and Tuesday!

Fish
    March 28, 2011 at 10:44 am

Biked all week due to car in the shop. A blessing in disguse

Fish
    March 31, 2011 at 10:47 am

Yep – Am 100% commuting by bike and DART rail now – Car got totalled, and I’m in no hurry to buy another one. I’m gonna just ride for a while & look for a cash car so I don’t have payments.

2. Sleepy Head · ·

congratulations on the wedding…someone told me (too late to say hi) that you were at the Pedals fundraiser at Eno’s Sunday night????

3. Jenny R. · ·

Congrats on your wedding!

I biked and took the train today, such a nice day.

4. BikeMan · ·

This is starting to get confusing. If you’re going to only make a post every two weeks, please do so early in the first week. Week 13 is in week 11 & 12 posting. Here is week 14:

Didn’t ride the bike into work at all but took DART every day. Rode my bike to the AAC for the last regular season game of the Stars on Thursday night and there were 2 recumbent bikes there already. Talked to the couple after the game and they live in downtown and decided to ride over instead of walking. That was my first time seeing someone else ride there.

So, was car free from Monday through Thursday. Had to run some errands on Friday night (dry cleaners and groceries) so I drove to the gym. Hated having to waste time sitting on a stationary bike to warm up when I got there.

5. Rick Titone · ·

A pretty average week. Thunderstorm Monday made us sleep in and had to drive to work. But stayed car-free Tuesday – Friday, going by bike to work, a lunch date, a Stars game and a church event.

Kudos to BFOC for being recognized in today’s DMN as a driving force (sorry!) in promoting cycling as a valid transportation alternative in Dallas!!

6. callmemisspriss · ·

I was car-free on Monday and rode my bike to work. However, I also had my first brush with bike theft- I left work after closing to find both of my wheels missing. Lucky for me, security left me a note- they chased the guy and he dropped my wheels, then security brought them to me. I had tools with me, so I was able to reattach them and get home. Everything turned out okay, but I was pretty shaken up. I ordered a chain at Switching Gears so I can lock my wheels up to my u-lock, and I won’t ride to work again until I have it.

7. David Rodriguez · ·

I don’t remember as for I really don’t keep track but I know I fit a lot of bike commutes. Before yesterday, I didn’t drive my car for a week.

8. David Rodriguez · ·

Sorry I was drinking a little in my last post so it was a little impaired. So These last two weeks have been a success. Now I only use my bike Monday – Friday, except on Tuesday when I work a crazy shift (11am to 10pm). I have noticed that it’s a lot quicker to get on my bike and ride home from/to work then taking DART, but I am too exhausted on tuesdays and just take DART or drive.
    I still drive on weekends, mostly because I live in North Dallas and all my friends are in Oak Cliff. Sure I can take public transportation but it’s such a hassle on the weekends.
    I feel that I am taking part in changing peoples mind in driving. I recently gave away my beginner bike, so that’s one car off the streets. Also, a friend of mine has seen how fit and happy I am on my bike, so he is now starting to ride around in Oak Cliff.
    I recently read an article in the Dallas Morning News that Dallas has the advantages of a big city, but it has no character. I have lived in many major cities, and I have noticed that statement to be a Fact. Even with that said, I also see that Dallas has the potential of becoming the New and even better Portland.
    Until the next biweekly post, everyone take care and be safe.

9. Jenny R. · ·

I took DART to work and went to a meeting near a rail station, so I walked from the station to the meeting.

10. I don’t see a posting yet for week 15, so here is mine:

Went car-free Monday through Friday. As usual, took DART to work and biked to the gym most days. Had a dentist appt on Wednesday and since he’s right off the Katy Trail I biked to it and then on into work. It really is amazing how compact Dallas is once you get out of your car.

@David Rodriguez – Now now. Friends don’t let friends post drunk!!! You can find yourself in all sorts of trouble surfing the internet while under the influence. LOL